Even if you don't have to spend on upgrading your old houses, you often have to make minor or major changes to the property you buy or already have.
We renovated a family house for more than 2 years, demolished it without walls and doors, and after the internal work done mainly by our own work, we carried out insulation, roof replacement, solar panel installation and heating modernization work with external experts. Summarizing our experience in the following points:
Own work vs. external specialist?
This is where the value of our working hours and our financial capabilities help us make a decision. There are many issues during the renovation, but we never lose sight of the time factor.
If somebody else does it much sooner and becomes available earlier, for example, it may not be more expensive to make it look more expensive at first.
Tips for saving your own work
- Exempt Masters : You can often save yourself from doing auxiliary duties with friends or family. For example, we took out existing windows and doors and opened walls with friends (it was a good party). You can soak the wallpaper, you can make room for pipes in the walls, you can pick up the cover, you can put out the windows, just to name a few.
- Put it in parts : it was like putting a mirrored sliding door made of glass and mirror foil because it would have been so much more expensive to buy it, but it also saved on the home-made shelves. It is even more reasonable to do DIY when it is not, or only difficult to obtain, because of its unique dimensions.
- If you already do your own work, don't waste money on tools : It's hard to spend on tools that may still be indispensable in a sea of renovation spending, but think about how much time and effort you have to work with or without the wrong tools! And these are typically basic tools that you might need later.
Tips for saving on outsourcing
- Anti Seasonal Work: It is especially true in the current boom that it is worthwhile to rely on professionals during periods of reduced workload. As our carpenter says, everyone thinks about replacing doors and windows in late autumn / early winter, with a slightly more relaxed period around February. It is worthwhile to have this aspect in mind, if we cannot get a better price, but at least we will find someone to do the job. Let's try to install climate in early summer, too.
- Compete for your higher value purchases: You can save a lot on higher value purchases by contacting manufacturers / emails and competing. For example, when we replaced the doors and windows, we sent a request for quotation to 15 locations (narrowed down from a wider circle), at least half did not respond (today this ratio could be even worse), and prices fluctuated quite a few years ago. the highest, three times that of a million items. It also takes time, searching for companies, getting in touch, comparing offers, everyone decides what the big deal is for.
- Be prepared and do not be ashamed, the list price is only a point of reference : If you are buying from a specialist shop, it is worth buying a large quantity: if you leave hundreds of thousands / millions of forints in a specialist shop, you can get unique discounts. We did exactly what kind of product we wanted, looked for the best price online, and at the same time bought a lot of sanitary, water and heating products, we got a 10-15-20% discount.
- What happens if there is a slip ? When ordering, always write down the deadline for completion, if not then request a product of higher technical quality, extra service, free maintenance. When it comes to timing, it is important to always emphasize the importance of completing work on time - because they are based on one another or thrown out of the sublease - because they often try to prioritize the work where They "prefer" to do so.
- It's not always cheaper to get close : In this country, the transport distances are so small that a specialist in another part of the country may not be asking for a surcharge because they can organize your work with others. This way you can extend your search to the whole country.
- Check Your Company : There are two useful pages to officially look at a company's past. www.e- Beszamolo.hu, here you can see what kind of invested capital, what results, how many registered people the company employs. www.e-cegjegyzek.hu: Here you can see when they were created, what their activities are, are being wound up, and for some forms of business, who owns them. It is also worth asking about the experience of acquaintances as to what the company is known for.
- Warranty : For high-value equipment and workmanship, always include a warranty: how many years, under what conditions, what is the most common failure. And sign a certificate of performance and warranty with the contractor to make sure you don't run away.